Mga Pahina

Friday, December 28, 2012

Recognizing the Hero in You!

The Christmas season provided us a respite from the busy work days. It allowed us to find the time to reflect on the greatness of God and His divine decision to send His Son to become man, and therefore, be one of us. Then it made me rediscover the soul of Mary who said yes to the will of God, considering herself as the “handmaid of the Lord”. The theme for me was utmost heroism and self-sacrifice.

HEROIC SERVANT LEADERSHIP

In leadership literature today, one encounters more frequently “heroic” and “servant leadership”. It is noteworthy that the trend was set over 2000 years ago when at the right time, God put in motion the series of events that permitted us to celebrate Christmas today.



I understood, there is something deep and profound around the term heroism. It was a term popularized once again with the untimely death of DILG Secretary Jesse Robredo (though I believe that God’s time is always perfect) and how people saw in his simple and moving ways true service and concern for people. He embodied the selfless leadership that moved people’s hearts to go beyond themselves and reach out to others.

ROBREDO AND MAGSAYSAY AWARDS

A few weeks after his death, I received an invitation from Magsaysay Foundation to attend the awards night for the 2012 Ramon Magsaysay Awards. Out of curiosity and a desire to write about the subject, I nudged my husband to join me. It was to listen to a running theme of heroism. Heroism means having the courage to forget oneself at the service of community or society. It is making that contribution that matters. The awardees were ordinary people who lived extraordinary lives. Or rather they were people who responded to that deep calling within them for service and sacrifice, not counting the cost of their personal comfort.




It also made me ask myself, in this stage in my life, am I ready to live a heroic life? A heroic life is living life to the fullest driven by that mission that lies deep within our soul that drives us to serve others. I also understood that heroism has a different meaning for every person. Every person is irreplaceable in the sense of the unique combination of talent, disposition, competence and grit that moves one to act. The core question is: what can I best contribute within my unique capacities and competence?

HEROIC ROLE MODEL


Recently, I met a married couple, friends of mine, whom I used to tap as consultants for value formation when I used to work in a bank. I encountered then in the Saturday market held inside our village. I heard the good news that the woman has gone in remission for the cancer that has afflicted her. And in her journey her husband gave solid and faithful support. What impressed me most was her story. She went for chemotherapy in Singapore. She understood how at the chemotherapy room people felt sad and depressed, with a lingering pallor and scent of death.

In her case, she was deeply spiritual. She understood that her sickness was a special gift reserved by God for special people, who willingly offer their sufferings in union of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. With this prayerful attitude she became the “ray of sunshine” in that room spreading cheer and joy, energizing patients with love and hope. She understood there is nothing “impossible with God”. She wanted to provide the “positive psychology” she has mastered to everyone. Today, with much gratitude in her heart, she demonstrated to us what heroism meant in that hospital bed. Indeed, whatever our circumstances we can be heroes.

HEROISM AND MISSION

A hero based on the dictionary definition is a “man of distinguished courage or ability admired for his/her brave deeds and noble qualities”. S/he is in the opinion of others a model or ideal person. I also strongly believed that the essence of heroism is the ability discover one’s mission and start to actualize it. I understood mission as “listening to the voice within” and doing God’s will. I agree with St. Jane Frances de Chantal when she said, "Happy are those who concentrate on following the will of God in all their actions. They will enjoy a deep peace because they find happiness in doing God’s will”.

Twenty two years ago, I made the decision to think through my personal mission. It was a statement that gave me clarity and a sense of purpose defining who I am and how I want to live. In pursuit of this mission I decided to set up Ancilla (a helping hand), a training and consulting company at the service of people and enterprises using my competencies in organization development, human resource management and communications.

Most importantly, it was to embrace the philosophy and values of the economy of communion of the Focolare Movement. Essentially, the company’s profits would not be at the service of its stockholders alone, but a portion is given to help the poor and another portion for spreading the gospel. They have truly been the most fulfilling and enjoyable years of my personal and professional life. We know the gospel is true, “give and you shall receive” and our cupboards have never run empty.

PERSONAL MISSION STATEMENT

Stephen Covey guides us through making a personal mission statement. “It is an individual statement that defines what you want to be (character) what you want to do (contributions and achievement) and the values and principles upon which being and doing are based”.

2013 MISSION 



2013 new year HD Happy New Year 2013 Wallpapers, Welcome 2013 Desktop Photos
 
After much reflection, I have decided that I will continue to be a “helping hand”, but this time not only for business enterprises but to provide affordable services to social enterprises that help in alleviating poverty. As I see the rosy Philippine economic indicators, my wish is to have more people participate in the gains of the economy through reduced poverty levels in our country. I understood that side by side with what is done at the national levels, one can help families and communities.  

I will use my competencies in managing change, human resources and communications to help strengthen social enterprises located in poor communities to build capability to enable and empower the poor. I believe in KASH mapping, looking deeply in the knowledge, attitude, skills and habits of a poor family and make it easier to customize and find the precise intervention needed. These can include coaching, training, education, referrals, networking among others. The key is for the family to find work or livelihood that ensure financial stability.

WORKING MODELS FOR ADDRESSING POVERTY

I dream of discovering and writing up working models that will be useful as I pursue work for my doctorate degree and put the material at the service of the country. I know that in partnership with others, this is possible. It is not easy, one has to persevere in helping, but I am aware that true “peace” in my soul and in our country can result from caring and systematic ways of helping the poor. I wish to firm up my plans in 2013 and start to execute in 2014.

I end this article with the wish for our dear readers to craft or review their personal mission statement and start building the hero in you. My best wishes for a meaningful 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment